Error registering the interop COM object

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I'm trying to use the project on a W7 32bit client. My app is running OOB in elevated trust, and I've modified the reg file to the correct path, and run the reg file on the client, which reported back to say it was successful. If I run the app on the client, it throws an exception:

Error registering the interop COM object

Compiling on the client isn't an option, so I'm at a loss as to what is going wrong here.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I've now found that .NET 4 has to be installed before the dll is registered properly.

The exception I get now is: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. 

Coordinator
Apr 6, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Hi wint100,

please have a look at the other thread (http://interopcom.codeplex.com/discussions/252638), maybe this is the solution to your problem, too?

Regards,

Paul

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Hi,

I found the problem was I was using the assembly SerialPort.dll that I had built. I replaced with the assembly available on the download page, reregistered, and all is working well.

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM
wint100 wrote:

I've now found that .NET 4 has to be installed before the dll is registered properly.

The exception I get now is: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. 

I added this to the requirements. Thanks for the hint.

wint100 wrote:

Hi,

I found the problem was I was using the assembly SerialPort.dll that I had built. I replaced with the assembly available on the download page, reregistered, and all is working well.

Thanks

This is really interesting. Maybe you got the wrong Framework-version activated in your project-settings?

Regards,

Paul

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I'm using .NET4, and all seemed to build ok, but obviously something was wrong.

I now have Paul's installer, so will build this into my application.

Great work.