OOB production error

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem as the previous poster.  I am running OOB with elevated permissions.  The problem is the serialport.dll doesn't get registered on install. (and I cant even do it manually in XP) So everything works fine on my PC because I've compiled your project and the DLL was registered, but on any other PC it throws an error.

Is there any way to get that file registered at install?  By non-techies?  I can't have non-techies trying to manipulate their registry.

Any suggestions will be welcomed! 

Thanks!

Paul

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Hi Paul,

I have never tried registering the DLL on a XP-machine. Moreover I am not sure, if it is possible at all.

You can register the DLL as described in the README of the binary distribution. There is a reg-file you can use to install/register the COM-interop. For the moment there is no more userfriendly way, that I am aware of.

I could in fact try to make an installer that would take care of that kind of stuff - this should be possible. But that would not be anytime soon, as I am kind of busy right now. I think the most convenient way is via the .reg-files as pointed out in the other discussion.

Unfortunately the poster did not tell me if the .reg-files did the job for him. But as he did not come back, I assume it worked out. Just download the assemblies and try the .reg-files.

Regards,

Paul

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Heya Paul,

Thanks for the reply.  I managed to make a quick install app in visual studio that does the trick.  Real simple now that it's done.   The tricky part was figuring out (by total accident) that I needed a tlb file exported.  I exported serialport.tlb with tlbexp and added the 2 dll's.  Vis studio automatically pulled in the tlb.  Set to release, compile, install and it works on Windows 7 both 86 and 64.  My XP machine finally kicked yesterday so I need to dual boot my laptop to try it out in XP.  I'll let you know what I find.

Feeling a lot better than 2 days ago ;)  except for the sweet smell of burnt processor coming from my XP machine.

Cheers!

Paul

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Hi Paul,

that sounds great. I've been very cautios about starting to build an install-app. But your description sounds like it is not that of a big deal and I could include some installer in this project, too. If you got it working under XP, please leave a note.

Regards, Paul

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Works on XP! 

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Hi,

Would you be willing to share this install app please.

Thanks

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Sure.  I can send the code or exe to Paul (gotthelastid) if he drops me his email and he can post it to the downloads page.  It's vis studio 10.

Paul?

Paul2.

Coordinator
Apr 6, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Paul, you've got mail...