Running the application on client

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:48 AM

Hi,

I did everything according to the documentations provided and everything works just perfect :-) thank you for it. But I had problem running the application on client machine. I mean, everything works on developing machine. I also published the silverlight application on IIS (Windows Server 2008) which was also my developing machine. The problem is, when I visit the website on a machine other than my developing machine, I get an error message indicating that the COM object not found or something like that. My question is, do I need to do any configuration on client such as any registry keys or what?

your answer would be appriciated

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Hi zzmx,

your application must run OOB (out of browser) with elevated rights (as admin) - otherwise the COM-interop will not work. You can not run the application from inside the browser on a website.

What you could do is to implement a switch that recognizes if the app is running in browser - and if so offers a button for installation but does not run the interop-code. In the installed app you skip the button and run the very application including to start COM-interop and stuff.

Regards and good luck,

Paul

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Hi gotthelastid

I'd already installed the application and ran it in OOB environmet. Any ways, I'm gonna do it again and inform you about the error I get.

Thank you for your response.

Kindly Regards,

Zia

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Dear gotthelastid,

Sorry for very late response. I modified the .reg file, copied the serialport.dll file and registered the .dll file according the documentation. It works fine on the client machine. But there are some tricks:

1. .NET Framework 4.0 (or any version of .NET Framework in which the .dll file is built in) must be installed on client machine prior to register the .dll file.
  2. Have the client download the .dll file.
  3. Have the client manipulate registry.

I tested it on Windows XP but I don't know if it works in other versions of Windows such as Vista and 7.

Issue No. 2 and 3 can be solved by creating a simple setting project and making the user to run it before using the application.

Any ways, accessing client machine from a web-based application is pretty tricky and makes us dependent to client machine. I'm gonna keep on trying to minimize issues and again inform you about new discoveries of mine ;-)

Best Regards

Zia

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Hi Zia,

the way to go would be via an additional installer-package, see the discussion parse started for more information. It works on WinXP and Windows 7 (x86 as well as x64). You could include the installer inside your SL-App or at least provide a link to download, I guess. I have never tried this. Maybe the link has to be on the same page, where you provide the SL-App instead of inside your App itself.

Cheers,

Paul